Hi,

OpenSSL 1 has reached EOL last September:

https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2023/09/11/eol-111/

Qt has supported OpenSSL 3 for a while, and so last week I pushed a patch to drop OpenSSL 1 support from Qt. "This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

It turns out that not every platform officially supported by Qt ships OpenSSL 3 yet. Some of these platforms are promising to maintain OpenSSL 1 for a little while longer, for instance Ubuntu 20.04 LTS:

https://canonical.com/blog/running-openssl-1-1-1-after-eol-with-ubuntu-pro

How to move forward from here: "revert the patch", sure, but also not so fast:

* First and foremost, I'd like a semi-formal insurance from Qt SSL maintainers that they're willing to maintain OpenSSL 1 code in Qt as long as needed. This should be done publicly, in docs + blog posts, because users are going to depend on this information.

* For "how long" is that exactly? Also a very good question. Can we gather 1) which supported platforms are still offering only OpenSSL 1, and 2) for how long do they plan to support OpenSSL 1, and 3) for how long Qt would like to support these platforms? (Basically, assessing whether the "insurance" above is realistic)

* Then, a plain revert isn't a good idea either: the whole point of the original commit is that using OpenSSL 1 is outright dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. (Using unmaintained security-sensitive code is a terrible idea). Therefore, a revert must also include make OpenSSL 1 entirely opt-in (cmake switch), and not using any automatic detection whatsoever: users of Qt should never ever be enabling it "by accident".

Thank you,

--
Giuseppe D'Angelo | giuseppe.dang...@kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB - Trusted Software Excellence