Hi,

I'm considering how to best describe the data that ramoops needs in
the device tree.

The idea is really about describing a memory area that is (likely to
be) nonvolatile across reboots. Said area is not to be included in the
regular memory map of the system (i.e. not covered by /memory).

I have a few options on where to do it. It's not really a hardware
device per se, so it's a gray area for the device tree alltogether.

How about something like?

compatible = "linux,ramoops"
linux,ramoops-start = <start address of preserved ram>
linux,ramoops-size = ...
linux,ramoops-record-size = ...
linux,ramoops-include-oopses = ... (this one is a bit of a corner
case, it's truly a software setting -- probably leave it out)

Anybody have a better idea?

I could do a platform-specific binding that describes the nonvolatile
ram area as a separate "device", and then have some platform code that
translates that into the ramoops platform pdata parameters (since it
can't really be assumed that ramoops has ownership of the whole
area/device). That seems pretty awkward too though, and I'm not sure
it buys us a whole lot.

-Olof