On Tuesday 16 December 2003 10:09 pm, Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > For the most part, there is nothing to "comply" with, Bob. Mitel is the
> > > copyright holder to the e-smith-* packages in the SME server. The GPL
> > > does not apply to Mitel for these packages, and Mitel is under no
> > > obligation to release the source. When it does so, it is a gift, to you
> > > and the community. The GPL attached to these packages is the license
> > > that Mitel gives you.
> >
> > Once again, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I say thank you
> > for supplying the source code.
> >
> > As to packages that were not forthcoming in the past, and ONLY because
> > you guys can't seem  to leave my thank you lie still, ...
>
> It was you that raised the issue, Bob.

Well yes and no. Others were/are also interested, including some not otherwise
sending mail to this reflector concerning these things.

> > here's a partial list of the items that were , as of quite recently, not
> > forthcoming with source;
> >
> > ServiceLink 6.0 - based on Mitel SME Server (GPL)
>
> As I carefully explained to you previously, the fact that Mitel releases
> its SME Server code to you under the GPL does not create any obligation
> for it to release its own ServiceLink code to you. Where Mitel has used
> software which is licensed to it by others, Mitel will comply with the
> appropriate licenses, as has been stated previously.
>
> > Blades:
> > -- Fax Server Blade - based on mgetty+sendfax (GPL)
>
> The mgetty and mgetty+sendfax RPMs are from RedHat. Source RPMs are
> available to you on request, or you can fetch them from your local RedHat
> mirror. The Blade itself is Mitel proprietary.
>
> > -- Free/Busy Scheduling Blade - based on Mitel SME Server (GPL)
>
> As mentioned previously, the "based on Mitel SME Server" is irrelevant.
> The Free/Busy Scheduling Blade is Mitel proprietary software, and source
> code will not be made available.
>
> > -- Groupware Blade - based on Twig (GPL)
>
> The Groupware Blade is not based on Twig, but includes Twig as one of its
> components. Twig source code is available on request, or you can obtain a
> slightly newer version from http://www.informationgateway.org/, or
> in RPM format from http://rpmfind.net/. The other components of the
> Groupware blade are Mitel proprietary.
>
> > -- Instant Messaging Blade - based on Jabber (GPL)
>
> The Instant Messaging Blade is not based on Jabber, but includes Jabber as
> one of its components. Jabber source code is available on request, or can
> be obtained from http://www.jabber.org/, or in RPM
> format from http://rpmfind.net/. The other components of the Instant
> Messaging Blade are Mitel proprietary.
>
> > -- Web Access Control Blade - based on Squidguard (GPL)
>
> The Web Access Control Blade is not based on Squidguard, but includes
> Squidguard as one of its components. Squidguard source code is available
> on request, or you can obtain a newer version from
> http://www.squidguard.org/, or in RPM format from http://rpmfind.net/. The
> other components of the Web Access Control Blade are Mitel proprietary.
>
> > And, as I said in the previous message, there were reasons given in the
> > past as to why they were not forthcoming, but I am glad that Mitel is now
> > releasing this source as it should do with it being in GPL.
>
> Bob, I'd strongly suggest that you carefully read the GPL and the FSF
> commentary on the GPL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html), so that
> you can better understand what the license means to us all.

So what constitutes a working SME system is not ALL going to be released into
open-source AND you are considering parts of SME and/or Red Hat as LGPL in
some cases to make this determination.

Thank you again Charlie for being so illuminating. It is good that you can
speak to the specifics and I am glad you have taken the time and encouraged
me to be specific so we can ALL see your replies above.

I seriously doubt we need to discuss this further here or in private.

Very best regards;

Bob Finch