In the e-smith manager on the console it does not have the choice for
dyndns.org just "do not use" "yi.org" "dyndns.com" and "Custom technical
support required"....

When I use custom it comes up with a server erro when it is trying to
save...

Jason.

                    Charlie Brady

                    <charlieb@e-s        To:     Peter Marriott
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    mith.com>            cc:     [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                         Subject:     RE: [e-smith-devinfo] Dynamic
DNS
                    11/01/01

                    12:23 PM

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Peter Marriott wrote:

> I also use telstra ADSL, and with 4.1b2 the updating to dyndns.org did
not
> function at all.

Please remember to report all bugs in the beta release to this mailing
list or to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I added a third party python script that works, but I have
> to run it as a cron job, which not ideal. (if you would like this as a
> temporary solution let me know and I'll send you intructions)
>
> I am a developer and would like to help debug this, where are the
> scripts/apps that are used to do the dynamic dns updating?

/sbin/e-smith/dynamic-dns/*

> (I do understand your template system, and have made minor mods to
> httpd.conf etc, so I don't need to be spoon feed completely, but I am
> by no means a linux guru)

As it happens I discovered two problems with the dyndns.org script on the
weekend. Firstly, it does not have execute permission. To fix this, do:

chmod +x /sbin/e-smith/dynamic-dns/dyndns.org

A shell syntax error has also snuck in along the way. Remove the backtick
character - ` - from the end of line 19.

Please correct those errors and configure the system to enable this
feature via the console, then let me know whether the system succeeds in
keeping dyndns.org up to date.

Please send me your python script as well - I'll see how it compares with
the existing script.

Regards

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada