Just in case anyone is wondering, the docs for Win 2000 & Samba 2.2.1a
(once you get them to work), work with Windows XP as well.

To get around the WinXP security during logon /login you need to disable
certificate & strong logons

***usual warning about registry editing here***

I know the lines are wrapped, but if you're gonna be stuffing around with
this kinda stuff, you should know what registry entries should look like
:-)

========================== BEGIN SME&XP.reg ===============
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\SeCEdit\Reg
Values\MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Netlogon/Parameters/Requi
reSignOrSeal]
"ValueType"=dword:00000004
"DisplayType"=dword:00000000
"DisplayName"="Domain member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel
data (always)"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]
"requirestrongkey"=dword:00000000
"requiresignorseal"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]
"requirestrongkey"=dword:00000000
"requiresignorseal"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]
"requirestrongkey"=dword:00000000
"requiresignorseal"=dword:00000000

==================================end======================
Tadaaa!

All the usual instructions work OK, and you can very easily use the User
manager to allow WORKGROUP/root and WORKGROUP/adminsnamehere to have local
Administrator access to the machine.

I haven't had XP long enough (it's the Ridgey Didge Pro Build 2600 OEM) to
see if it confuses the Domain and/or Workgrop Master lists. I also have a
4.1.2 & 5.0 setup both playing nicely with each other, and the 2000Pro and
WinXPPro client machines.

I also haven't seen Samba 2.2.2, so I don't know whether that changes the
logon security.

Regards,

Craig Foster
FostWare Enterprises