devices nodes and not the "contents" of the device

Actually, for many devices, and always the normally formatted floppies, cp
works just fine both to read and write a disk image.

> >    # cp /dev/fd0 /etc/e-smith/floppy/boot.img
>
> dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/etc/e-smith/floppy/boot.img
>
> or
>
> dd if=/dev/fd0Hnnnn of=/etc/e-smith/floppy/boot.img

The problem turned out not to be either cp or dd -- the 1760K format uses 22
sectors/track, and that appears to be a problem for some drives.

Replace the /dev/fd0u1760 with /dev/fd0u1722 in the original instructions
and all appears well. The 1722K format is what Microsoft used to use on
their installation disks. I suspect it would be universally supported.

Scott