On Friday 08 February 2002 02:53 pm, David Brown wrote:
> [...]

Well, they have NOT communicated a time-frame as near as I can tell. Sorry if
it was not obvious that I am seeking an answer of when, and something more
than; "when somebody does this for us."

> > Now, perhaps we can take this a step further. Many other distros are
> > being used for firewalling, including firewall centered distros
> > (clarkconnect among
> > others), that successfully use the 2.4 kernel. There are plenty
> > of examples
> > of distros that have moved early and successfully to the these
> > newer kernels,
> > including manged server distros.
>
> The step further (to do it right) would be to help develop/port the
> necessary masq modules to the 2.4.x kernel.  This seems to be the key to
> get Mitel to move the SME server to the 2.4.x kernel.

The point is, many distros have migrated from 2.2 to 2.4 and have this
functionality. I consider many of these to have done it right. Other distros
have created answers to their unique or not so unique challenges with this
not so 2.4.x kernel series. I am now asking when e-smith/Mitel plans to.

> > It would be nice if e-smith/Mitel could give us a time-line of when these
> > discussed and/or needed changes are planned to take place. If there is no
> > reasonable answer forthcoming, please do not spend the time to reply.
>
> Mitel has no idea when third party developers will have working masq
> modules ready for production use, and I highly doubt that any road map they
> present will include them developing these modules.  Why can't we as
> developers work on some of these modules to help out the community instead
> of expecting Mitel to do it for us?

They have in house development staff. I would like it if the management would
manage and create a time-line, with the help of "third parties" if they so
choose, and/or with this in-house staff.

So far about all I have seen is excuses why e-smith/Mitel is not and/or has
not done this conversion. I am now asking when.

Bob