On Monday 08 December 2003 08:19 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Quoting Dan Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> > be

> > > Which distribution did you have in mind?  Theoretically, a switch to
> > > Debian (for example) isn't too drastic because the core configuration
> > > and architecture of E-smith is in the Perl template/events structure.
> > > In practice it would be a huge amount of work and the upgrade
> > > path would be a real challenge.
> >
> > I think a move to a stable distro like Debian would have a number of
> > advantages (not least of which might be a new pool of willing
> > volunteers!). It also has the best update/install system (in APT) that I
> > have come across.
> >
> > I can see that the upgrade path would be a big issue though.
> >

> > Dan.
>
> Well, Here is what I've seen so far.
> Redhat and RPM although relible and well estabilshed are NOT good package
> management systems. Too much micromanagment is required on the part of the
> system administrator.
>
> Debain Supports both RPM and APT, there are a number of tools that will
> cross install. The main issue would be the minor diffrences in file system
> layout (Debain is also more efficent than RedHat in this respect). Debain
> also recently modified anaconda to support apt!
>
> One good system that comes to mind is Gentoo, as they have "THE BEST"
> package management system I've ever used (On a linux distro). It's more
> akin to the BSD "Ports" tree, however seeing as this is a firewall, haveing
> a complier handy is not the greatest idea.

If you believe in apt and like BSD style ports and want the ultimate in KISS
(keep it simple stupid) you might want to look at the package management in
the arch-linux distro. It is quite obvious that the developers have studied
the faults and piccadillos in rpm, urpm, tgz, apt, and have created an
amazing package management system. I switched to this for most of my
development a year ago, and have stayed with it longer than any other distro
I have tried over the past 6 years. (Yes, I am picky and demanding.)

For those of you that will want to confuse your opinion of me with arch linux
and wont give it a looksee; well I am not a developer and "mores the pity"
for you.

The only other distro I would even remotely consider these days would be
open-BSD. However I think linux may well be a better fit for the future.

Very best regards;

Bob Finch
Computers That Work