De: Charlie Brady [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Enviado el: Jueves, 11 de Diciembre de 2003 21:26
Para: Peter Lambert
CC: e-smith-devinfo
Asunto: [e-smith-devinfo] Not enough Indians (Re: [e-smith-devinfo] Boss)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Peter Lambert wrote:

> I also think we need to get a chain of command in place.  Some hard
> decisions are always needed.
>
> A lot of the names on the "volunteers" list are very familiar to
> anyone whos been on devinfo list.  I'm sure most of us could point the
> finger at people who we'd respect enough to work for (as in take
> instruction, err guidance, from).

I disagree completely. Free software projects don't work that way.

It's said that managing software developers is like herding cats; surely
it's more so when the developers are volunteer and unpaid. Free software
developers essentially work for themselves, and have to be self motivated.
There aren't 437 device drivers in the 2.6 linux kernel because Linus
directed a bunch of people to write them - they're there because a whole
bunch of people had hardware that they wanted to get working.

Co-ordination is definitely useful, but only if there is something to
co-ordinate. There's lots of people out there with ideas, but they all
count for nothing unless someone makes the ideas concrete.

If you want to contribute, don't wait for "a boss" to tell you to do so.
Find something that you'd like to see happen and make it happen, or at
least start it happening. Work on the FAQ, for instance. Or document
something. Have a poke around and understand how something works, and
write down what you learn. Chances are that'll be useful to someone.

Mitel Networks Corporation      http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 592 5660 or 592 2122  Fax: +1 (613) 592 1175

A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.

Please mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] (only) to discuss security issues Support
for registered customers and partners to [EMAIL PROTECTED] To
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Searchable
archive at http://www.mail-archive.com/devinfo%40lists.e-smith.org