I was trying to store a value from a web panel

my $conf = esmith::ConfigDB->open();
tie my %conf, 'esmith::config', $conf->file;
my $req = $conf->get('privoxy');
$rec->set_prop('status', 'enabled');

When I uncomment the last line I get no error, otherwise I do. What am I
doing wrong here?

my $status = $conf->get('privoxy')->prop('status');
gives me the information that is in the database, so I have opened the file.

Thor