On Sunday 28 July 2002 21:11, Matthew wrote:

> > CVS now is at version 489, and this includes code to always route to a
> random key on the first hop, at oskar's suggestion. This hopefully will
> have the following benefits:
> a) prevents the network from splitting, sows it back together when/if it
> does
> b) if you can't find a piece of data, then retry with a higher HTL, your
> request will be initially routed to a different node. So you have a good
> chance of finding the data, if it's anywhere reachable from any of your
> references, by repeatedly rerequesting with a slowly escalating HTL.
> Costs:
> a) increases average path length by 1 hop
> b) possible impact on specialization?
> c) random hop is probably not the most likely to find the data, so may
> d) result in lower performance/more DNFs... hopefully the positive impacts
> will overwhelm this.

Good work.  My intituition is that the benefits will outway the costs.

Keep in mind that this is the third significant change that has happended
recently, so it might be hard to judge whether it is working or not by
looking at the performence of the public network.

Other changes:
0) maxRoutingSteps increased
1) overload triaging turned off.

--gj

p.s.
Announcing stuff on the mailing lists ahead of time never hurts.

--
Freesite
(0.4) freenet:SSK@npfV5XQijFkF6sXZvuO0o~kG4wEPAgM/homepage//