There are many places in Fred where output is sent to StdErr and
StdOut.  This patch will only catch the specific instance of an
unhandled exception occurring.  I modified Fred's logger some time ago
to redirect StdErr and StdOut to the logfile if they did not exist.  If
this is not happening on your JVM your patch will certainly act as a
workaround, but the preferred solution would be to submit a bug report
to the developers of your JVM.  If System.out.print is called when
StdOut does not exist (such as when running Fred as a service)
System.out.checkError() should return true.  Likewise for StdErr.  This
apparently is not happening on your JVM.  Your patch may cause
exceptions to be logged twice on working JVMs.  Not a huge issue, but
fixing the JVM would obviously be preferable.

-Pascal