I have seen no comment on the support list ( where it has been
mentioned) from the developers about the apparent habit of recent
Freenet builds of discarding all the contents of the datastore whenever
fred is stopped and restarted.  If it is deliberate, I would observe
that it is a nuisance routing-wise, and could be catastrophic if, for
any reason, a large proportion of major Freenet nodes had to be
restarted on the same day.  (We can all see how that might happen!)

Is there any possibility of developing a datastore repair tool?  If each
item of data is stored as a discrete, de-encryptable, contiguous record,
it should be possible to develop a tool which checks the integrity of
each item and reconstructs the store metadata around the undamaged
items.  This would deal not only with datastore bugs, but also the
vagaries of user, OS and hardware, which are likely to quite often
damage even a bugless store.

If the re-initialisation of the store is only apparent (i.e. an artefact
of the "environment" page) I apologise.  If it is an accident, rather
than a deliberate attempt to avoid DSBs, then perhaps it could be
corrected.

Many thanks for your attention,
--
Roger Hayter