On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Ian Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Ian is of the view that this should be a separate application based on
>> similar
>> principles to Freenet. I'm not. We agree that there are some significant
>> issues to deal with. I am of the view that these networks are mutually
>> complementary and therefore should talk to each other
>
> I think the use-cases are too different for these to be part of the
> same application.

IMHO, there's another interesting use-case.  If I have a friend or two
I see daily at work or similar, and we swap 8GB memory cards, that
represents more bw than my cable modem uplink!  (And the cost of a
memory card is lower than 1 month's subscription, provided it gets
swapped most days.)  There's an interesting hybrid option here -- for
large queued downloads, requests go over the network link, but

I think flood routing inserts opportunistically is a good idea --
there's no point in sending out a memory card less than full, and
routed requests / inserts may well not be enough to fill it.

One interesting case is Cuba -- there's an operational sneakernet
there already:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/06/world/americas/06cuba.html?ex=1362546000&en=eff6155b2c2d280d&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
Currently it's basically manually flood routed, but I imagine there
would be significant demand for proper freenet routing to distribute
entertainment; everyone wants to see the latest news media, but
perhaps not the entertainment stuff depending how much there is.
There may also be significant numbers of local wifi hops available
that aren't boardly connected (pure speculation on my part), so
switching back and forth between regular Freenet links and sneakernet
links could be useful.  Also, in small communities where there's
strong motivation and short geographical distances, you may well find
the motivation sufficient to produce latencies of a couple hours, not
a day or so, at least in some cases.

I have visions of Neo from The Matrix, sitting in a darkened apartment
and acting as clandestine data broker...

Evan Daniel