On Monday 05 January 2009 14:27, vive wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 12:48:04PM +0000, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 December 2008 03:14, vive wrote:
> > > Simulation:
> > > 0. Load the two networks, each of size 4000. All nodes are set to be
pure
> > darknet.
> > > 1. Connect the networks by joining pairs of random nodes, where one node
is
> > picked from each network. I tried this with a cut of 10,100,1000,10000
links.
> > > 2. Nodes randomize their positions and swap for a while to stabilize the
> > locations (successful swaps get more uncommon after this) to start from
> > a "stable" state
> > > 3. 1000 keys are inserted by random nodes into the network (both sink
and
> > cache). Nodes have a store of 50 keys and a cache of 50 keys. Both are LRU
as
> > normal.
> >
> > Actually we use pseudo-random replacement now. This probably doesn't
strongly
> > affect the results.
>
> Is this documented? I was unable to find it. It would be great to have a
place
> on the wiki where the heuristics related to 1. Routing 2. Caching/Storing
are
> documented. Maybe at least a short description of each. This way,
simulations
> can be made more realistic and design decisions made more clear. Right now
the
> simulations do routing with backtracking as well as storing/caching
according
> to the sinking strategy (store) and LRU (both store and cache).

There are quite a few places on the wiki where parts of the design are
documented ... these are usually way out of date.

> One could of course read the code ... but it may also be hard to get the
> high-level description right-away from many details of lower-level code. :-)
> Is it possible that someone who has insight into the details of the
heuristics
> could write a short description?

The sinking strategy is simply that we cache in the store only when an insert
is on a node which is closer to the target than any of its peers. Do you want
more details on the routing heuristics? Or to start a more general debate on
how much detailed internal documentation we should make, where we should put
it etc?