On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Thomas Sachau <m...@tommyserver.de> wrote:
> Evan Daniel schrieb:
>>> So this is a disadvantage of avogato against current FMS implementation.
>>> With the current FMS
>>> implementation, only a majority of trusted identities need to mark him
>>> down, with avogato, either
>>> all original trusters need to mark him down or you need to do it yourself
>>> (either mark him down or
>>> everyone, who trusts him, so
>>> FMS 1:0 avogato
>>
>> As I've said repeatedly, I believe there is a fundamental tradeoff
>> between spam resistance and censorship resistance, in the limiting
>> case.  (It's obviously possible to have an algorithm that does poorly
>> at both.)  Advogato *might* let more spam through than FMS.  There is
>> no proof provided for how much spam FMS lets through; with Advogato it
>> is limited in a provable manner.  Alchemy is a bad thing.  FMS
>> definitely makes censorship by the mob easier.  By my count, that's a
>> win for Advogato on both.
>
> I dont think you can divide between "spam resistance" and "censorship
> resistance" for a simple
> reason: Who defines what sort of action or text is spam? Many people may
> mostly aggree about some
> sort of action or content to be spam, but others could claim the reduced
> visibility censorship.
> And i dont see any alchemy with the current trust system of FMS, if something
> is alchemy and not
> clear, please point it out, but the exact point please.
> And FMS does not make "censorship by a mob easier". Simply because you should
> select the people you
> trust yourself. Like you should select your friends and darknet peers
> yourself. If you let others do
> it for you, dont argue about what follows (like a censored view on FMS).

Yes, the spam and censorship problems are closely related.  That's why
I say there is something of a tradeoff between them.  The problem with
FMS should be obvious: if some small group actively tries to censor
things I consider non-spam, then it requires a significant amount of
effort by me to stop that.  I have to look at trust lists that mostly
contain valid markings, and belong to real people posting real
messages, and somehow determine that some of the entries on them are
invalid, and then decide not to trust their trust list.  Furthermore,
I have to do this without actually examining each entry on their trust
list -- I'm trying to look at *less* spam here, not more.  The result
is a balkanization of trust lists based on differing policies.  Any
mistakes I make will go unnoticed, since I won't see the erroneously
rejected messages.

In FMS, a group with permissive policies (spam filtering only) and a
group that filtered content they found objectionable can't make
effective use of each other's trust lists.  However, the former group
would like to trust the not-spammer ratings made by the latter group,
and the latter group would like to trust the spammer ratings made by
the former.  AIUI, the balkanization of FMS trust lists largely
prevents this.  Advogato would allow the permissive group to make use
of the less permissive group's ratings, without allowing them to act
as censors.

IMHO, the Advogato case is better for two reasons: first, favoring
those who only want to stop spam over those who want to filter
objectionable content is more consistent with the philosophy behind
Freenet.  Second, spam filters of any sort should be biased towards
type II errors, since they're less problematic and easier to correct.

Essentially, I think that FMS goes overboard in its attempts to reduce
spam.  It is my firm belief that limiting the amount of spam that can
be sent to a modest linear function of the amount of *manual* effort a
spammer exerts is sufficient.  Spam is a problem in both Frost and
email because spammers can simply run bots.  The cost of FMS, both in
worry over mob censorship and work required to maintain trust lists,
is very high.  I think that the total effort spent by the community
would be reduced by the use of an algorithm that took more effort to
stop spammers, and less effort to enable normal communications.  We
need to be aware of what we optimize for, and make sure it's really
what we want.

I've explained why FMS is alchemy before, but it's an important point,
so I don't mind repeating it.  FMS has some goals, and it performs an
algorithm.  There is no proof that the algorithm accomplishes the
goals, either in whole or in part.  An algorithm that does not come
with a proof that it works is alchemy, whether it is for routing
between nodes, spam filtering, or a simple sort of an array of
integers.  In contrast, the Advogato algorithm has a mathematical
proof that the spam is bounded linearly by the confused identities
(legitimate identities that mistakenly trust spammers).

>>> This would require adding trust to new people, As you can see with FMS,
>>> having everyone spending
>>> dayly time on trustlist adjustments is just an idea, which wont come true.
>>> So this would mean that
>>> every identity that is not very active will loose any trust and would have
>>> to introduce himself
>>> again. More pain and work resulting in less users.
>>
>> See my proposal (other mail in this thread, also discussed
>> previously).  Short-range but long-lived trust is a better substitute,
>> imho.
>
> I would call it censorship because those that see you because of captcha
> announcement can themselves
> say what happens,
> -if they dont give you trust, most wont see you => you are lost, are censored
> -if the give you trust, everyone will see you => not censored
>
> This would give a small group of people the chance to censor newly announced
> identities (also the
> group may be different for every identity).

Then use a more permissive capacity:distance function.  There is no
requirement that you use a shorter range function, or that you use the
same function as everyone else.  IMHO, the default should be somewhat
shorter range, in an attempt to balance the number of people that see
new identities.  As you observe, too few leads to censorship
possibilities (out of malice or just plain laziness).  Too many means
that an identity with CAPTCHA trust only can spam and have everyone
see that spam, which provides the spammer a reasonably efficient way
to send spam.

>>> Only the number of identities added because of solved captchas should be
>>> limited and the limit
>>> number is the number of announced captchas, which should be more than
>>> around 1/day. For added
>>> identities from others, you will always do some basic review, maybe with
>>> some advanced option to
>>> remove all identities introduced by a specific identity.
>>
>> No, that is not sufficient.  The attack that makes it necessary (which
>> is also possible on FMS, btw -- in fact it's even more effective) is
>> fairly simple.  A spammer gets a dummy identity trusted manually by
>> other people.  He then has it mark several other identities as
>> trustworthy.  Those identities then spam as much as is worthwhile
>> (limited only by message count limits, basically).  The spammer then
>> removes them from the dummy identity published trust list, adds new
>> spamming identities, and repeats.  The result is that his one main
>> identity can get a large quantity of spam through, even though it can
>> only mark a limited number of child identities trusted and each of
>> them can only send a limited amount of spam.
>>
>> Also, what do you mean by review of identities added from others?
>> Surely you don't mean that I should have to manually review every
>> poster?  Isn't the whole point of using a wot in the first place that
>> I can get good trust estimates of people I've never seen before?
>
> In FMS, there is currently a simple page, where the latest added identities
> are listed and how they
> where listed. So if you get many spamming identities and they are all added
> from 1 trusted peer,
> just remove his trustlist trust and all those new spamming identities wont
> reach you.

Having the review mechanism available makes sense to me, so long as it
is not required.

Evan Daniel