On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 1:54 AM, Arne Babenhauserheide<arne_...@web.de> wrote:
> On Thursday, 4. June 2009 20:02:13 Matthew Toseland wrote:
>> > I vote for  lighthouse.  I've used Mantis, Trac, and Fogbugz, and
>> > Lighthouse is better than all.  It is simple, user friendly, doesn't
>> > impose any particular way of working, and it has a flexible API.
>>
>> How is it different to Mantis then?
>>
>> Anyone else have an opinion?
>
> Is it free? (I couldn't get that information from my first glance on the site)

It is free as in beer for open source projects, so yes.

> Proprietary solutions allow censorship *by design*, because some specific
> entity controls what the system does - no matter how benevolent that entity
> might be at the moment.

Its only a bugtracker.  If they were to suddenly go evil (which they
have no incentive to do) then it would be an annoyance, but not a
disaster - we'd just move elsewhere.

> I already had that feeling about uservoice, but there I though "oh well, it's
> not really integral for freenet". But the bugtracker is integral, and relying
> on a proprietary solution for an integral part of freenet is dangerous.

Not if:

1) they have no incentive to hurt us, quite the opposite, we'd bring
positive attention to them

2) they only have our bugs, even in the worst case the worse thing
they could do is inconvenience us

The reality is that we need to outsource this stuff, we've tried
hosting our own tools and it soaked up a large amount of time, left us
extremely dependent on Nextgens (who no-longer wants this role), and
cost quite a bit of $$$.  All of these things are dangerous and bad
for the project in very measurable ways.

Much better to let our tools be managed by people exclusively focused
on the task, especially when its free (as Lighthouse is).

Ian.

--
Ian Clarke
CEO, Uprizer Labs