Freenet 0.7.5 build 1253 is now available. This build is immediately mandatory
(it will only talk to 1252 or later) because it fixes a critical (potentially
remote code execution) bug in FEC, so please upgrade immediately. Major changes:
- Even segment splitting. Freenet divides large files up into "splitfiles":
because a CHK can only be 32KB, Freenet splits larger files up into many
blocks, and then divides those blocks into "segments" of no more than 256
blocks (128 data blocks, and 128 "check blocks" that are generated for
redundancy). Until 1251, on any splitfile of more than 128 blocks (4MB), all
but the last segment would be exactly 128 data blocks and 128 check blocks.
From this build onwards, all the segments will be roughly the same size. Plus,
we allow up to 131 data blocks (with 125 check blocks) to use fewer segments
(which is a net benefit for reliability), and we add an extra check block to
each segment of less than 128 data blocks.
- This triggered some rather nasty bugs in the FEC encoding native code. We
have a workaround in 1252 but in 1253 native FEC is disabled completely until
somebody can get a proper look at the code. These bugs CAN CAUSE SEGMENTATION
FAULTS and thus are conceivably exploitable for remote code execution - so you
should upgrade NOW!
- New content filtering infrastructure. Filtering is now in the client layer
rather than part of fproxy, and can be accessed via FCP. Downloads to disk can
be filtered. And it's more efficient - future changes based on this code should
make it use significantly less I/O, and pave the way for new filters for
multimedia files.