Old response that was never forwarded.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_...@web.de>wrote:

> Hi Snark,
>
> Thank you for posting! Your analysis looks pretty good.
>
> Am Sonntag, 27. Januar 2013, 00:02:17 schrieb Michael Grube:
>
> > Not bad! There is obviously still some influence but the location
> > distribution has evened out noticeably.
> >
> > There is one down side to this solution, however, and that is that it
> > appears to affect search performance. By how much, I am not sure, but our
> > link length distribution is now looking less ideal:
> >

> http://127.0.0.1:8888/CHK@TdODwHOdC9peiHYGtTxDa9yy9v0lXSHKWW4G7wM5-~A,OIy08YxNZdg4M3vpgm7wETOhUvU3RYFzrkJQ7No9poE,AAMC--8/deterioratinglinkdist.PNG
>
> What happens if you now apply normal swapping to this distribution? Does
> it get better or do we see a general problem of swapping?

Do you mean without attackers? Changing back to the original swapping
method with attackers makes the location distribution fall apart again.
Without attackers from this point on, the link length distribution moves
back to ideal distribution again.  I just ran this again to be sure, but
the resulting graph is nothing new, so I didn't insert it.

> (in some tests while discussing probes, a swapping example I wrote worked
> well for some stuff, but broke down with certain configurations)
>
> The link length distribution could be a pretty big problem…
>
> Compare it with the real distribution:
>

> http://127.0.0.1:8888/USK@pxtehd-TmfJwyNUAW2Clk4pwv7Nshyg21NNfXcqzFv4,LTjcTWqvsq3ju6pMGe9Cqb3scvQgECG81hRdgj5WO4s,AQACAAE/statistics/148/plot_link_length.png

My first thought is that I'd like to see this graph with link length from 0
to 1. Also, it's important to note that this graph is percent of nodes with
that link length or smaller, whereas the graphs I inserted are counts of
the number of links with the distance marked on the x axis. This difference
might have been obvious to some people, but I just want to be sure
everybody sees that.

I can't promise anything immediate, but I was already implementing the
search algorithm in my simulation. I can try to get some actual numbers by
this time next week.

> Best wishes,
> Arne
>
> PS: I also like it that you used freenet itself for hosting!

Of course =)