We have several major problems:
1. We need a major injection of cash.
2. We will not have a big connected darknet any time soon.
3. Opennet is not secure unless users pay for introduction.
4. Opennet is slow because of lowest common denominator load.

I propose: Freenet Rebooted.

A Kickstarter, but based on extending the current code, not a full
rewrite. A lot of it actually works reasonably well.

MAJOR CHANGES:
1. Darknet enhancements, but we recognise that we will need a large,
fast opennet backbone to connect the darknet pockets for the time being.
2. You can only run a Full Opennet Node if you have an Opennet Invite
and meet bandwidth/performance requirements.
3. Only Full Opennet Nodes route tunnels and/or high HTL traffic.
4. There may be further restrictions for security reasons, if so we will
ensure that an OI still gives performance benefits (even if you are not
routing traffic).
5. Opennet tunnels via ShadowWalker.
6. Better seednodes.
7. Most of the enhancements to other areas we've previously discussed.
8. Transient mode reintroduced, so opennet Freenet is still free as in
beer, and secure with tunnels. Great for uploading on the run! But
transient nodes don't route traffic/tunnels and get lower performance.
9. Investigate hardware partners and home-server UI issues. Long term we
need cheap, convenient hardware nodes, because we need uptime.

Initially we aim to raise $1M. Anyone who donates $100 gets an Opennet
Invite, so this is 10,000 users. Hardware nodes might be a good donor
perk too. In future we anticipate charging for OI's, but expect an
increasing proportion to be provably given to other worthwhile,
respected and relevant charities e.g. EFF: The price paid to become part
of the network infrastructure is mainly a deterrent to large scale
attacks, rather than a means of raising revenue.

Thoughts?

Obviously there is a risk of people running parallel networks for $99 or
whatever, or #freenet-refs style auto-darknet meshes. Some of them will
be scammers and we have a good web presence to start with; I don't think
we should worry about this.