On 09/02/16 08:58, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> Matthew Toseland writes:
>
>> Awesome! We need to:
>> 1) Implement this.
> Yepp.
>
>> 2) Publish it.
> We should… Stefanie and Michael might be able to gain something from
> that. Maybe you, too?
>
>> Why is reinserting the whole datastore important in the case of an attack?
> Because in normal swapping, as soon as the network settled a bit, the
> changes in location should be small (though my nodestats look different:
> too large changes in location for my taste…). So the node data should
> still be reachable. When randomizing the position, however, the step is
> large and the node might settle into a new part of the keyspace, so the
> store might not be reachable anymore.

Not in all cases. E.g. merging several growing darknets? Is this slow
enough that we don't care?

OTOH: Can this be used as some sort of DoS? Is 2 hops enough? Etc.

This was likely discussed way back when darknet was first proposed,
maybe Oskar has an opinion about it ...
>> AFAICS we are looking for a gap much larger than the node's local
>> average peer distance? In practice this is likely to vary a lot because
>> of different node degrees etc?
> Yes. Node degree is the core variable for that. Thanks to FOAF
> information we should be able to use an average degree of all friends
> for the calculation.
>
>> On opennet, performance has a big impact;
>> on darknet, a node's location on the graph and its peer count? I'm
>> thinking of the problems we had around the time Pitch Black was
>> published - at least some of it was due to nodes with few peers taking
>> locations in big gaps and then leaving the network.
> We can’t keep nodes from leaving, but we can keep swapping which spans
> large parts of the keyspace from making parts of the datastore
> inaccessible.

On a hybrid network we still have the aristocracy problem: Because
opennet is meritocratic, fast nodes tend to connect to fast nodes. Hence
the distribution is likely to be non-uniform - slow nodes will be out on
the edge and have poor connectivity i.e. possibly a different mean
distance??

Does this affect this?