On 13/06/16 17:09, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I’m writing for two reasons:
>
> - The new 10KiB/s minimum bandwidth is too high for some users.
> - With 1474 few users are able to keep more than 70 connections.¹
> ¹: See https://asksteved.com/stats/plot_peer_count.png — this used to
>    have a peak around 100 before 1474, and people report that their
>    nodes cannot keep their connections anymore.

I thought this occurred suddenly in 1474? That suggests something fishy
is going on, the long term issues you try to address here may not be
relevant?

One possible theory is that the peer count patcher suddenly changed from
accepting probe requests to ignoring them. This would explain both the
reduction in average peer counts and the odd probe statistics. Is there
any way we can eliminate this hypothesis, for example by asking people
using it?