On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 12:15:03PM +0100, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 01:31:58AM -0700, Ian Clarke wrote:
> > While looking into making the various error and information pages
> > that FProxy throws up conform to our nice new theme, I noticed how
> > completely ugly the FProxy code is.  If someone is considering
> > some significant work to improve filtering, they might consider
> > starting with a clean slate and copying across the useful pieces
> > of code, but structuring it in a more sensible manner.
> >
> > Oh, and can we *please* get rid of that "IE Sucks" message.  If
> > there is a security hole with IE, then say-so, but please keep the
> > anti-M$ advocacy in your Slashdot sig where it belongs, not in the
> > Freenet code-base.
> This security hole is not necessarily a security hole, since it has been
> present in IE forever (and caused major problems for e.g. outlook -
> check the bugtraq archives). It does however mean that it is not possible
> to protect the anonymity of a user using M$IE. It is explained clearly
> on the page. But if you want to change it to "INTERNET EXPLORER DESTROYS
> YOUR ANONYMITY" or "INTERNET EXPLORER ALLOWS BAD FREESITES TO OBTAIN
> YOUR IP ADDRESS", that's fine.

I agree completely.  We MUST tell the user in no ambiguous or less
than extremely strong terms that using Micro$oft Internet Explorer
will completely eliminate their anonymity and thus practically defeat
the whole purpose of Freenet to start with.  We must make it very
clear to the user that they're an idiot of they use M$IE with
Freenet.

--
Yes, I know my enemies.
They're the teachers who tell me to fight me.

              - Rage Against The Machine