Hi,

I’m pushing a test release for 1495 right now. If you want to help test it, you
can change the update key of your node to
USK@wytBz~rduWSo9-MmVW4AVqY3ESebPPCP9vC-eSxe-vg,mZqWi0sHmhn5kt0idu-~K4pk~~8eNXxMeYen73FOfA8,AQACAAE/jar/1494

(see http://127.0.0.1:8888/config/node.updater?fproxyAdvancedMode=2 )

Release notes:

- descriptions:
SSK@wytBz~rduWSo9-MmVW4AVqY3ESebPPCP9vC-eSxe-vg,mZqWi0sHmhn5kt0idu-~K4pk~~8eNXxMeYen73FOfA8,AQACAAE/changelog-1495?type=text/plain
- technical:
SSK@wytBz~rduWSo9-MmVW4AVqY3ESebPPCP9vC-eSxe-vg,mZqWi0sHmhn5kt0idu-~K4pk~~8eNXxMeYen73FOfA8,AQACAAE/fullchangelog-1495?type=text/plain

If no bigger problems crop up, this will become the release for 1495.

New users
---------

There is a new firsttime wizard for single-step setup, contributed
by redwerk and finally merged after resolving dependency-requirement.

To further ease the start, the bookmarks are re-organized with
"starting points" at the top.

User experience
---------------

For integration in browser extensions,  TheSeeker added support for
the schemes web+freenet and ext+freenet which do not need further
allow-listing by browsers to use.

CometZ@6DtYG~ created a new theme sky-dark-static, a clean dark scheme,
simpler than Winterfacey.

To enable more beautiful Freesites, Spider Admin, naejadu and vwoodzell
extended the CSS filter to enable sticky, transition, and word-wrap.

The m3u-player is now only inserted into sites which contain at least
one video or audio tag. When a part of a stream fails, it is now skipped,
allowing for continuous playback without user-intervention.

Performance
-----------

For better lifetime of larger files, the healing size is increased
from 20 to 320 MiB, so a 320 MiB file will keep working if accessed
once every 10 days.

And the pending keys optimizations by Eleriseth should reduce the CPU
load on very fast nodes with many peers.

Further technical improvements
------------------------------

- finally merged the HashingAPI by unixninja92, a GSoC project that had
  gotten lost in the pull requests. This provides an easy and
  well-tested way to create and verify different types of Hashes from byte
  arrays, including Sha256 and TigerTree.
  https://github.com/freenet/fred/pull/258
- old announcement fixes by toad were finally merged
- unit tests were upgraded to junit4, thanks to vwoodzell!
- the client getter method now honors the max size argument

Thank you for using Freenet!

Contribute
----------

If you want to help us get better, please chat with us in #freenet @
libera chat. And give us time to answer, we’re all volunteers and might
not be in your timezone: https://web.libera.chat/?nick=Rabbit|?#freenet

To get into development right-away, have a look at one of the Freenet-Projects
or just get fred and fix something that annoys you.
- https://github.com/freenet/wiki/wiki/Projects
- https://github.com/freenet/fred

And to take on something that makes a big difference, have a look at the
high-impact tasks: https://github.com/freenet/wiki/wiki/High-Impact-tasks).

What is Freenet?
----------------

Freenet is a peer-to-peer platform for
censorship-resistant and privacy-respecting
publishing and communication.

> I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though
> she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I
> worry that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say
> 'Daddy, where were you when they took freedom of the press away from
> the Internet? --Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation

That Freenet can keep moving forward and help people worldwide to
exercise their basic rights and freedoms is the work of amazing
volunteers, both contributors and people running Freenet nodes.

Thank you for your contributions, and thank you for using Freenet!

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein