On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu <ser...@xwiki.com> wrote:

> Vincent Massol wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having 2 problems with Plexus:
> >
> > 1) I tried to upgrade and it's not working. They've dropped the
> > ability to dynamically register a new component instance for an
> > existing role. Jason Van Zyl said he's ok to fix it but he's busy on
> > other stuff and it's been now 2 weeks since he said he'll fix it.
> > Generally speaking there are not many people working on Plexus core so
> > it's not moving much.
> >
> > 2) I tried using events (it was there in alpha-31 but seem to have
> > disappeared in recent versions - I may be wrong. However since there's
> > zero documentation I had to try to find it in the code and couldn't
> > find it) and couldn't. Even in alpha-31 it doesn't work (it works only
> > for components located in components.xml but since we're dynamically
> > registering components it doesn't work for us.
> >
> > Thus I'm more and more tempted to drop support for Plexus and instead
> > use our Embedded component manager for now and start a xwiki-osgi
> > module that would implement our SPI for OSGi. I've read OSGi
> > documentation and it looks not too difficult to do.
> >
> > I have all the code done for sending Component Manager events but it
> > won't work with Plexus so I'm proposing to use our Embedded CM for
> > now. In the meantime I'll try to talk to Jason to see what can be done
> > on the plexus side.
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > Note that our Embedded CM hasn't been tested for multithreading so
> > we'll need to verify it works in the 2.0 dev cycle and fix any
> > threading issue.
>
> We can also take a look at Guice.
>
> I don't know what the switch implies, but since we're in the early
> stages of 2.0, we can try it on the trunk.

I had some reading about guice and it seems quite powerful and well designed
and much lighter and focused on DI than Spring and maybe a bit "more modern
and alive" than plexus even if plexus did it right... there is also an
out-of-the-box OSGI integration extension http://code.google.com/p/peaberry/