hi

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 1:06 AM, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT
Team <webmas...@environmentalchange.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Vincent Massol wrote:
> >

> > This is the usual question and the answer is usually that you need to
> > keep a reader able to read them along with the data. Even more you
> > need to maintain the reader over time to ensure it continues running
> > on the hardware.
> >
> > Then how long the data is kept online completely depends on the domain
> > and use case. In your case you could keep it 10 years online or more.
> > Provided you have enough disk space and your DB is correctly indexed,
> > that should work fine.
> >

> I know this is a kind of "thread kidnapping", but here we have one our
> main concerns right now: Lucene search seems to have some issue that
> prevents it to work fine.
>
> For instance. I get 70 hits (logged search) when looking for "Servlet"...
>
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/LuceneSearch?text=Servlet&x=0&y=0
>
> Only a variable number of entries are shown in each page, but never the
> total number.
>
> I think this is a major issue concerning how to retrieve stored
> contents. I don't know if it could be my Internet clients that are doing
> something wrong, but I keep getting this consistently.

What do you mean because when I always get the same number of hits with 30
hits per presentation page and 3 pages... From my point of view of XWiki.org
user, sometimes, there are some strange results or no result but I think
this is due to the fact that the site content has been changed or the server
redeployed and lucene has not indexed everything yet or there has been a
problem while indexing. I've already asked several times about it and each
time, when people look at my problem, it's OK again because lucene
periodically indexes as far as I remember :)
But you may speak about something else...

> > For a documentation site it's a bit more problematic since the site
> > needs to be relatively clean and when users go to it they should not
> > feel it's a mess or a work in progress too much since otherwise this
> > feeling will reflect on their feeling for the software. In the case at
> > hand it's acceptable since it's on the dev wiki and not the main
> > documentation wikis.
>
> I can only agree with this. It seems to me that I am being a bit naive
> thinking about a unique repository of prose/data/information from which
> applying rules and policies will shown the right facet for each "type"
> of users.
>
> I agree about the fact that clear documentations eases the access of new
> users to any new system/software.
>

> > Well I think we both agree:
> > 1) wikis are tools that make it easy to keep stuff up to date and
> > apply refactorings to content
> > 2) in general it's bad form to loose content
> >
> > For 2) I was focusing on the content representing the solution in the
> > design docs which I was proposing to drop from the design doc since I
> > was proposing to move it elsewhere (in the main doc location). However
> > I was indeed also suggesting to loose content (which was the comments
> > in the design docs or some intermediary steps that allowed us to reach
> > the final solution). However Sergiu didn't agree and I could
> > understand why. So I backtracked and I've moved done design docs in a
> > DesignArchive space. At some points it'll get removed but it'll
> > probably be in a few years now.
>
> I do hope in a few years time we have the solution for to-be-deprecated
> contents!

What do you do today with your 10s of HardDrives with Mo, Go of deprecated
data you don't even remember even if they could be interesting... The loss
of digital information meaning also the loss of knowledge and maybe the loss
of a part of our history will be one of the challenge in the future (this
phrase is too serious so I put a smiley at the end :))... but there is also
the case when some info keep going on internet and you would like it to be
erased but it's almost impossible :):):)