*** From dhcp-server -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

On  5 Apr, Ted Lemon wrote:
>     *** From dhcp-server -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***
>
>> I think I have to use the dhcp-client-identifier option, but it doesn't se=
>> em to work if you don't specify a hardware adress.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to use it and have, mabe a sample dhcpd.conf file wit=
>> h it?
>
> What did you try?   With what client?
>
> The syntax is:
>
>   host foo {
>     option dhcp-client-identifier "blaznorf";
>   }

Yes, that works well.  Just tried it with the 2.0b1pl18 server.
This in my server dhcpd.conf (addresses slightly modified for privacy):

host bubba {
        option dhcp-client-identifier "bubba";
        hardware ethernet 00:E0:29:02:03:04;
        fixed-address 128.223.223.223;
        option broadcast-address 128.223.223.255;
        option routers 128.223.223.1;
}

And on my Linux Redhat 5.2 I put this in /etc/dhclient.conf

timeout 60;
retry 60;
reboot 10;
select-timeout 5;
initial-interval 2;
interface "eth0" {
        send dhcp-client-identifier "bubba";
}

I'm just doing this for server up-ness testing, but the
client identifier does look like a good working identifier.
Makes the test dhcplient.conf really simple.

--

John G. Kemp                        e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Oregon                 phone: (541) 346-1704