This xslt will convert inkscape's PLAIN svg files to dia shapes.

  xsltproc svg2shape.xslt --stringparam icon-file firewall.icon \
  firewall.svg > firewall.shape

The attached bash script "genshape" will use inkscape to export the icon
and the simple svg and converts this to the shape file all in one go.

DIA-isms

Here is how the standard dia meta data is obtained:

1. The first "text" with id "textbox" is converted into the shape's
textbox and removed from the svg.

The text in this text becomes the <name> of the shape.

2. All items with an id that begins with "connector_" generate a
<connections><point> tag with the connection point in the middle.

This is calculated by taking the average of the min and max x points and
the min and max y points.

The min and max taken from attributes x, x1, x2, width and pulling out
all the X coordinates in draw paths, or y, y1, y2, height or all of the
Y coordinates in the draw paths (@d attribute)

There are also some -isms to correlate the -isms in shape2svg, such that
the connections were put into a <connections> layer and the shape was
put into a shape layer.

inkscape is explicit about draw styles, so there was no need to fixup
assumptions when converting to shape.

BUGS:

Currently I do NOTHING about transforms or groups or other svg forms
that dia can't handle.

I don't preserve the order of connection points, ubt I don't think it
matters.

I still haven't worked out how to get xsltproc to generate the right
namespace prefixes.

So where does this leave us?

I can make simple drawings (and moderately complex ones) in SVG.

1. I just make sure the ID for visual connection points begins with
"connection_",
2. I make sure there is a text area with id "textbox" and contents
"Network -Firewall" or whatever.

then I can convert and make a shape file really easily!

Sam

#! /bin/bash

PNG="`dirname "$1"`/`basename "$1" .svg`.png"
SHAPE="`dirname "$1"`/`basename "$1" .svg`.shape"

# generate png
inkscape -e "$PNG" -w 22 "$1"

# generate simple svg
inkscape --export-plain-svg=/dev/stdout "$1" | \
xsltproc --stringparam icon-file "`basename "$PNG"`" xslt/svg2shape.xslt - \