On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Norbert Bollow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Taran Rampersad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> "In October, Shenzhen China-based HiVision will ship a MIPs-based Linux
>> mini-notebook for $98. The company is currently offering a similar
>> machine for $120, according to a video blog report from the
>> /Internationale Funkausstellunga/ (IFA) consumer electronics show in
>> Berlin this week....(...)
>
> While I find it very cool to see inexpensive GNU/Linux based devices
> with PC-like functionality becoming available, I wonder whether the
> question about the working conditions of the workers who produce
> these devices should not also be prominently raised, researched and
> discussed.  Are their human rights being respected?

A very important question, Norbert -  already when the Asus EEE (which
looks very much like this HiVision notebook) came out, I was reminded
of the same questions, raised for instance on March 7, 2007, at  a
roundtable of the "High Tech No Rights" campaign at the Geneva
Institut Universitaire d'Etudes du Développement (1), though about
"expensive" computers. A year later, the same associations published a
follow-up report about the situation in China (2) which states:

"Despite the positive inputs from more progressive brands beginning
early 2007, long-term problems still persisted in their Chinese
supplier factories. They include substandard wages, excessive work
hours, poor occupational health and safety, no rights to employment
contracts and resignation, and no communication of corporate codes of
conduct to workers. "

And in the introduction to this study, the site of the action states
that "Paying ca CHF 50 (ca US$ 35) is enough to double the spending
for wages, respect of [fair] work hours, welfare prestations and
security measures" (3).  If US$ 35 is the cost for manpower  in the
"expensive" computers examined in the study, how much is spent on
manpower in computers as cheap as the Asus or HiVision ones?

Best

Claude

(1) Info about the campaign at www.fair-computer.ch (in German, French
and Italian)  -  audio recording (ogg and mp3) of the roundtable
downloadable from
<http://www.archive.org/details/hightechnorights_geneva> (partly in
French and partly in English).

(2) High Tech - No Rights?  A One Year Follow Up Report on the Working
Conditions in the Electronic Hardware Sector in China - May 2008
<http://www.fair-computer.ch/cms/fileadmin/user_upload/computer-Kampagne/Pressekonferenz_20.Mai/A_one_year_follow_up_study_final.pdf>
- 6.9 Mb (English)

(3) translated from <http://www.fair-computer.ch/cms/index.php?id=413&L=2>
Environ 50 francs supplémentaires suffisent à doubler les dépenses
liées aux salaires, au respect du temps de travail, aux prestations
sociales et aux mesures de sécurité.