We always think about, or are prod to think and look about, cost in terms of
cash. We think in the 'accounting' way with proper columns, debits and credits,
balance sheet. What we do not seems to want to know is the cost and benefits of
the 'soft kinds' such as f2f social get together, knowledge sharing when people
get the chance to see smiles and nodding in others, the old, old matter of
getting knowledge out in REAL STORY telling etc. etc.

Sometime it almost makes me laugh when I think about how we ooh and aah about
the benefits of water-cooler/coffee machine at a office, or how to share
knowledge by story telling. I laugh because these WERE the old ways we use to
share knowledge that WE destroyed by letting technologies control us.  Well, if
we find a place such as a local town-hall, a school library and put in a few
computers there and let the people share (a tele-center) what in effect is we
are keeping the traditional way of life of most small villages ... a market
place, a watering-hole, a place to mingle ... water-cooler effects flows
naturally, stories would be told, knowledge sharing occurs ... .

Imagine we give to each child in the village a OLPC. What DO we give them, how
much what we give would benefits them, AND what are we taking away, and what
are we destroying? I am not even going to go deep into what other problems are
we creating. Perhaps we should stop for another moment to really understand
what we are doing to our societies, to reflect what the internet technologies
is doing to our own life? So do we really want to promote the same ??

I am not anti-technology, but I am concern many of us allow technologies to
control us. We created the digital divide. Like drug addits, we want newer and
newer technologies to fix our craves. Most of all, should we push our additions
to others (the unfortunate souls, we think!)  in the name of closing the
digital divide gaps?

Cindy

[EMAIL PROTECTED]