From: Joel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [DDN] PhD research on OLPC
To: "The Digital Divide Network discussion group"
<digitaldivide@digitaldivide.net>
Date: Monday, 22 September, 2008, 5:55 AM

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 5:09 AM, Cindy Lemcke-Hoong
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> what is the different between telecenters and 'community
computers'? If they are the same, for search purpose, perhaps we could keep
to the same terms?
> Cindy

In the 3rd world countries, a PC is generally too expensive for
individual ownership (hence the relevance of the OLPC). The cost is
not just the purchase price of the HW, but must include the SW costs,
and the user's time to learn and use the technology.

It is simply that an OLPC is so "out-of-context" in the lives of the
average citizen. It is our belief that this is because too little
effort is placed in providing appropriate applications / solutions at
the 3rd world point-of-view.

The telecenter OTOH MUST contextualize at the community level. Can the
same be said for the OLPC?

J Galgana
BayangPinoy Organization, Inc.