Hi I joined this email list a few weeks ago having come across the Digital
Divide website and so far finding the posts quite relevant and interesting.
Rather than just lurking, if I may I would like to make a paint a brief
picture of my company.

We are http://www.tickertxt.org/ and are a social enterprise in the startup
phase.  Our business is that of improving trading for farmers and traders in
rural communities in developing countries.  We do this by applying some very
interesting web and mobile technologies in a both novel and grassroots way
to farmers and traders.  I think a key difference in our business is that
"grassroots" approach, that is we go from bottom up rather than top down.
Values of our business that underpin that term include open-source and
community-owned.

We recently won an award at the Hasso-Platner Ventures Social Enterprise
forum (http://www.hp-ventures.com/) in Postdam, Germany and later were
finalists at Seecamp 08 (http://www.seedcamp.com/) in London.  What came
home to us at this last event was a better understanding that for our
business to better succeed we needed partners in the same "social
enterprise" sphere.  I am finding some resonance to that here in Digital
Divide.

Part of that engagement is immediately finding partners of all types who are
interested in mobile phone and trading aspects of developing countries.
Downstream there are hopefully spin-offs for a wider audience, including
education and other infrastructure improvements.  So, if you see yourself or
know of someone who might be interested in talking to our company then feel
free to contact me off-group.  Otherwise you at least know where I come from
(which is Oxford, UK!).

Anyway thanks for reading.

Regards

Andy Swarbrick