Thank you for having posted this very important document to the
Digital Divide Network list, Fouad. In fact this ordinance and its
issues concern us all, not only Pakistanis, because laws about
cybercrime present similar issues in many countries - though few
foresee death penalty for cyberterrorism acts leading to death of
people, and by-pass Parliament, as President Zardari's ordinance does.

Searches for "e-crime" and "cyber crime" in the messages of the
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/pakistanictpolicy/ mailing list
will yied more info about the various stages this ordinance has gone
through.

See also
- the playlist "The eCrime Bill (aka The CyberCrime Bill)"
<http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=D42DA013BCC5B498>, which
contains the videos of Lawyer Zahid Jamil's presentation of the then
Bill and its controversial aspects at The Second Floor in Karachi,
Sept. 7, 2007.

- If you have a broadband connection, longer installments of the same
video recording are gathered in
<http://www.teeth.com.pk/blog/2007/09/18/understanding-the-e-crime-bill>)

- Slides of Zahid Jamil's presentation in
<http://www.teeth.com.pk/blog/2007/09/08/draconian-cyber-crime-law-in-pakistan/>

which are great cyberlaw lessons as well.

Following this presentation and the discussions about the then E-Crime
Bill, the Ministry of IT and Telecommunication had accepted to hold
talks with stakeholders. But on Nov. 3, 2007, Pervez Musharraf's
proclamation of the State of Emergency shelved these talks. In January
2008, Musharraf issued the Cyber Crime Ordinance, and as Fouad wrote,
now (Nov. 6), President Zardari promulgated it again.

>From the discussions at
<http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/pakistanictpolicy/>, both
ordinances still contain all the faults of the Bill.

I hope Fouad will correct possible errors of mine above.

Best

Claude

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Fouad Bajwa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> President promulgates ordinance to prevent electronic crimes
> http://www.app.com.pk/en_/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58277&Itemid=1
>
> ISLAMABAD, Nov 6 (APP): The President has promulgated the Prevention
> of Electronic Crimes Ordinance, 2008 (Ordinance No. IX of 2008) to
> make provision for prevention of the electronic crimes. This Ordinance
> may be called the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Ordinance, 2008.
> This Ordinance extends to the whole of Pakistan and it shall apply to
> every person who commits an offence under this Ordinance irrespective
> of his nationality or citizenship whatsoever or in any place outside
> or inside Pakistan, having detrimental effect on the security of
> Pakistan or its nationals or national harmony or any property or any
> electronic system or data located in Pakistan or any electronic system
> or data capable of being connected, sent to, used by or with any
> electronic system in Pakistan.
>
> It shall come into force at once and shall be deemed to have taken
> effect on the 29th September, 2008.
>
> Following is the text of the Ordinance:

(...) The rest of Fouad Bajwa's message is at
<http://digitaldivide.net/pipermail/digitaldivide/2008-November/007242.html>