From: Claude Almansi <claude.alma...@gmail.com>
To: The Digital Divide Network discussion group
<digitaldivide@digitaldivide.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:57:28 PM
Subject: Re: [DDN] in search of volunteer moderators (was The future of DDN)

Thanks for your answer to Cindy Lemcke-Hoong's question on moderating
work, Andy:

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Andy Carvin <andycar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> To facilitate and encourage discussion while dealing with users who break the
> discussion rules. It's pretty straightforward.
>
> btw, one thing to point out - if the group decides to migrate to another tool
> - googlegroups, etc - there may be some integration work required because
> membership to the list can be controlled through the digitaldivide.net
> website membership.

But I'm not sure I correctly understand your last point: wasn't
signing up for the list separate from being member of the site, at
least technically?

As to a possible migration, Steven Clift's proposal (copied below)
seems more appropriate than a google group. Google has been emanating
strange connotations lately, abruptly closing google lively after
several classes had adopted it, their discutable metabolization of
Jotspot into google sites - not to mention what's happening on the
video front. There's a distinct smell of a google drive towards
monoculture, maybe less pungent than Microsoft's was, but there all
the same.

Steven's proposal on the other hand is is "GPL open source". And that
seems more consonant to DDN. Moreover, there is an RSS feed (well,
google groups have them too, granted, but see above), which means that
the last messages to the list could be displayed on the DDN site,
couldn't they?

Happy New Year to All

Claude