*Please help us get the word out by forwarding this news to a colleague!

Doors to Diplomacy Award Winners

Bureau of Public Affairs

Office of the Spokesman

Washington, DC

June 4, 2009

  _____

The Department of State is pleased to announce the selection of two winning
websites for its 2009 Doors to Diplomacy Award, which is co-sponsored by
Global SchoolNet. The awards recognize the web projects that best teach
young people about the importance of international affairs and diplomacy.
Participants, ranging in age from 11 to 18, included 203 student teams from
34 countries.

The winning sites are:

*       Preserving Arts and Culture of Minangkabau
<http://minangteamdoortodiplomacy.sampa.com/team-family-site/ACTIONS-CONDUCT
ED-FOR-PRESERVING.htm>
http://minangteamdoortodiplomacy.sampa.com/team-family-site/ACTIONS-CONDUCTE
D-FOR-PRESERVING.htm.  This site, built by a team from Padang, Indonesia,
explores the diplomatic value of arts and culture exchanges.
*       Captain Water, http://www.captainwater.com
<http://www.captainwater.com/> , was built by a team from Tyrone, Georgia,
U.S. Their web project explores water as a vital environmental resource.

Each student member of the two winning Doors to Diplomacy Award teams will
receive a $2,000 scholarship. In addition, the winning coaches will each
receive a $500 cash award. Judging was performed by student peers and
educational professionals, with the final selections made by a team of
Department of State judges from the Bureau of Public Affairs. The winning
sites will be linked from the Department of State's youth site at
<http://www.future.state.gov/> http://www.future.state.gov.

Global SchoolNet,  <http://www.globalschoolnet.org/>
http://www.globalschoolnet.org, is a non-profit, Internet-based education
program. The Doors to Diplomacy Award was specially created for CyberFair, a
contest that encourages students and educators to join together to build
high-quality, educational websites on a variety of topics. These website
entries will be available on the web as learning tools to millions of people
around the globe.

Further detail on the Doors to Diplomacy projects is at
http://globalschoolhouse.org/doors.

========================

Doors to Diplomacy Platinum Awards

========================

Project ID 5664 Captain Water Helps Teach Kids How to Conserve Water

Cat 7. Health and Environment

Sandy Creek High School

Tyrone, Georgia, UNITED STATES

Project ID 5701:   Preserving Arts and Culture of Minangkabau Through Youth
Activities

Cat 8. Arts and Culture

SMA 1 PADANG, WEST SUMATRA, INDONESIA

Padang, West Sumatra, INDONESIA

========================

Doors to Diplomacy Gold Awards

========================

Project ID 5741: Imagine All the People Living Life in Peace

Category: 5. International Security

Tician Tabidze School 43

Tbilisi, GEORGIA

Project ID 5860: TERRORISM AND PEACEMAKING ON OUR LIVES

Category: 5. International Security

Hwa Chong Institution

Singapore, SINGAPORE

Project ID 5790: Live for the Future - Make Your House Sustainable

Category: 7. Health and the Environment

Dimitrie Cantemir National Col

Onesti, Bacau, ROMANIA

Project ID 5927: Our Water, Our Future, Our Responsibility

Category: 7. Health and the Environment

St Joseph's Institution

Singapore, SINGAPORE

Project ID 5542: CULTURE CLUB - Youngsters for Cultural Exchanges

Category: 8. Arts and Culture

Rustavi Public School #2

Rustavi, Rustavi, GEORGIA

Project ID 5912: Our Little Doors to Diplomacy

Category: 8. Arts and Culture

Zespol Szkol Ekonomiczno-Infor

Swietochlowice, POLAND

========================

Doors to Diplomacy Silver Awards

========================

Project ID 5694: The Changes We Believe In

Category: 1. Leadership Traits

San Diego Riverside Charter School

Jemez Pueblo, New Mexico, UNITED STATES

Project ID 5680:Seeing Double (a cloning and eugenics project)

Category: 4. Science/Technology

San Diego Riverside Charter Sc

Jemez Pueblo, New Mexico, UNITED STATES

Project ID 5934:Caretta Caretta...Voyage to Turquoise

Category: 7. Health and the Environment

EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN COLLEGE

FAMAGUSTA, CYPRUS

Project ID 5833: POVERTY AT LARGE: ZOOMING INTO ONE OF THE WORLD'S GREATEST
PROBLEMS

Category: 7. Health and the Environment

Hwa Chong Institution

Singapore, SINGAPORE

Project ID 5953:Plead for a healty life

Category: 7. Health and the Environment

Eudoxiu Hurmuzachi

Radauti, Suceava, ROMANIA

Project ID 5975:Green Life for the Most Beautiful Future to the Earth

Category: 7. Health and the Environment

Daan Elementary School

Taipei City, TAIWAN

========================

Doors to Diplomacy Honorable Mention Awards

========================

Project ID 5820: Barack Obama: The Life, the Journey, and the Diplomatic
Ideals of the 44th President of the U.S.

Category: 1. Leadership Traits

Jefferson County Middle School

Madras, Oregon, UNITED STATES

Project ID 5781: Let's Fight Child Trafficking

Category: 2. Promotion of Peace and Democracy: Social Issues

St. Lawrence High School

Mumbai, INDIA

Project ID 5951: HRL Defenders

Category: 2. Promotion of Peace and Democracy: Social Issues

Colegio Puertorriqueno de Nina

Guaynabo, Puerto Rico, UNITED STATES

Project ID 5891:Team O.R.P.H.A.N.

Category: 2. Promotion of Peace and Democracy: Social Issues

Williams Intermediate School

Bridgewater, Massachusetts, UNITED STATES

Project ID 5915: Third World Debt

Category: 2. Promotion of Peace and Democracy: Social Issues

Hwa Chong Institution

Singapore, SINGAPORE

Project ID 5551: The Effects of Global Warming on Human Health and Nature

Category: 7. Health and the Environment

Edirne koleji

Edirne, TURKEY

Project ID 5910: Unbiased Environmental Policies

Category: 7. Health and the Environment

Central York High School

York, Pennsylvania, UNITED STATES

Project ID 5698: The Point of No Return

Category: 7. Health and the Environment

Joan Ekzarch Language School

Vratsa, BULGARIA

Project ID 5904: ENVIROMANTAL DEGRADATION AFTER MINING ACTIVITIES

Category: 7. Health and the Environment

Colegiul Tehnic "Anghel Saligny" Baia Mare

Baia Mare, Maramures, ROMANIA

Project ID 5870: HOTA, a Diplomatic Utility

Category: 7. Health and the Environment

Hwa Chong Institution

Singapore, SINGAPORE

Project ID 5791: ECOJUNIOR

Category: 7. Health and the Environment

Roman Voda National College

Roman, ROMANIA

Project ID 5976: The Earth - Our Common House

Category: 7. Health and the Environment

#5 Public School

Rustavi, Georgia, GEORGIA