Christian Stalberg <cstal...@stalberg.net> wrote:

> Verizon Wireless has announced that it intends to cease providing SMTP
> service to its broadband customers ffective August 29, 2009. For those of us
> who live in rural areas, Verizon Wireless broadband service is the only ISP
> service available. To lose SMTP service - which is primary to all ISPs -
> will cause me and others in rural areas irrepairable harm.

In view of the open architectural principles of the internet,
it is quite impossible for your provider's unwillingness to
provide some specific add-on service to be worse than a mere
inconvenience.

In this particular case, it isn't even particularly difficult
to work around the issue.  You're welcome to contact me off-list
if you're interested in learning how.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
siug.ch     -- Swiss Internet User Group, an initiative of /ch/open
adaptux.com -- Empowering adaptation of IT to your business processes