Dear Andy and friends:

The first tsunami wave attacked Veerampattinam, one of our fishing villages
near Pondicherry, at about 9.15 am yesterday and two people lost their
lives. Immediately, within minutes, the volunteer at the Veerampattinam
knowledge centre started appealing to the people to withdraw to safer places
through the public address system and further loss of life was averted.
There were two more waves at about 1040 and 1200 hours. At Nallavadu,
another fishing village, also no loss of life is reported, although huts
close the shore were washed away and a few boats were lost. The worst
affected was Moorthikuppam, the whole village inundated with sea water.

Every day our knowledge centres provide weather information - from CNN,
Accuweather, the local Met office and US Navy satellite (wave height
information). We are not, unfortunately, equipped to predict earthquakes and
tsunamis.

Many friends around the world have sent messages expressing concern and
anxiety. We are unable to answer all of them individually. Through this
message, we assure all of you that we are doing all that we can.

Arun
[Subbiah Arunachalam]