Hi everyone,

The recent conversation about RSS and the subsequent questions about "What
exactly is RSS?" got me thinking that we need to have a repository on the
DDN website of commonly used jargon and their definitions. That way, we
don't have to re-define certain terms on a regular basis for new DDN
members - instead, we can point them to a definition on the DDn website.

We've recently installed a wiki on our server
(http://wiki.digitaldivide.net) and I think this would be a great use for
it.  (Since we're talking jargon, a wiki is a website that anyone can visit
and edit the text. Wikipedia.org, for example, is a wiki that allows people
to create and edit their own encyclopedia definitions.) We could create
definitions of terms like RSS, podcasting, blogs, ICT, etc, written
specifically for the context of digital divide activists, plus link to
other existing definitions on sites like Wikipedia. DDN members could even
add their own words over time.

For starters, I'd like to ask DDN members to email me off-list any terms
they'd like to see defined. I can them compile a list of them, post them to
the group, then ask for volunteers to offer definitions, as well as compile
definitions that have been posted to the list previously. Since  we'll be
using a wiki, anyone will be able to go to the site, add a definition or
edit one.

So, please send me a list of any terms you'd like to see defined, and then
I'll post a list of them so we can find volunteers to compile definitions
for them.

thanks,
ac