Dear All,

I have been keenly following the debate about personal vs social
computer. First things first, why are we all looking at it from the
point of view of first world people and also maybe some "third
worlders" like me who are priviledged to have had good education, a
stable income, blah-blah...The "Divide" happens when we adopt such a
world view. We have to look at the whole issue from the point of view
of the user at which the Simputer is targeted, the guy living in the
villages of India - and other developing countries - who doesnt want
to know about computers and would rather be left alone to lead his
life the way he has been leading it and his father and ancestors
before them have been doing it. If there has to be a buy-in for
Simputer or for that matter any other device it has  be to not because
WE say that it is 'good for you and it will change your life' but only
if the Simputer can demonstrate that it does make a difference to HIS
life, and in most cases, it is not about "personal convenience" which
most of us would give top priority for, but primarily for "helping me
earn an income" and may be after that  A BIT of personal convenience.

Take the example of the telephone in India. India is one of the
countries that is lowest in terms of teledensity. Yet, the smallest
and remotest villages will have a PCO - a public booth - where they
can connect to the rest of their world. The telephone as a personal
device is too expensive for the average Indian villager. However, he
is staying connected thanks to the benefit that the device offers to
many entrepreneurs living in remote parts of the country who see a way
of earning a living by setting up a phone booth. The same is happening
with cellular phones in India - the device that most urban Indians
would think of as a Personal communication tool, right? From the rural
Indian's point of view, wrong...there is a company in India (private
sector) that has set up a mobile phone booth service in remote parts
of Uttar Pradesh! The same is true of computers and Internet cafes are
the main access points for most people even in urban India, living in
large cities like Delhi and Mumbai. Where the Simputer stands to gain
over all other computers is in its ease of use. While price is
definitely a factor, the more important thing for Simputer would be to
develop a business model where the Simputer becomes as ubiquitous as
the telephone in the PCO booths in the country. The Simputer has to be
sold first to the service provider who can then target end-users.
Simputer has to go beyond device marketing of the top brands. It has
to find a new marketing model/system, call it what you may.

And by the way, even if a Dell or any other of the top brands were to
offer a computer for half the price that the Simputer is offering,
what about service. Most multinational brands dont even begin to think
beyond the top 10 cities...and even here their service is "pathetic",
believe me, I am talking from experience. Try to visualise this
scenario:

A farmer in remote Rajasthan who can just speak his mother tongue and
perhaps a smattering of Rajasthani-accented Hindi acquires a Dell
laptop - thanks to his son who is living in the US. His son teahces
his father the basics of how to use the computer...By the way, the
father will be only too happy to use it in such a case because he is
not your typical villager (his son is in the US, he is obviously well
off) and for him the computer is a status symbol. All his neighbours
would drop in to chat with the old man only to see this wonder called
a computer...Anyway to continue with the story, a few months later the
computer stops functioning and he has to call up the call centre which
is based in delhi/bombay/chennai/bangalore. You cant imagine how
"divided" the two worlds are - the call centre executives are not
trained to handle customer complaints from rural Indians.Period. And i
don't blame them, rural Indians are not their core customers. After
some hot words and total confusion, old man would forget about getting
the computer serviced - status symbol - or not and it would be stored
away in the 'showcase' in his drawing room, occasionally dusted like
the other souvenirs that his son has brought home from the US.

The whole point of giving this fictitious scenario is to demonstrate
how implausible it is for a market-driven company to offer service to
customers who are clearly not their priroity customers. However with a
company like Simputer, this is their core target and one assumes that
they have created the systems to cater to this market.

Adite Chatterjee

Adite Chatterjee
www.icfdc.com