hi everyone -

     i was visiting a family i know this afternoon and asked, "hey, do you
want to help me record a new song?"  they said, "sure, let's go for
it."

       the youth in this family wrote the lyrics of the song with me.
then we all recorded this in apple's garageband software -- bundled
for free with new macs.  the bongo drums were later added by a
middle school student in this family.

         it was a fun constructivist learning project. i had no idea where
this song was going when we started, but it seemed to be heading
in a fun direction.

          i've posted the song temporarily on the web at
http://www.writersforliteracy.org/ohmetadata.mp3

         this song is being distributed under a creative commons license -
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0.

          (i.e. use it for any nonprofit purposes you like.)

           i'll be uploading it to the internet archive (archive.org) for
its more permanent home. (and maybe submitting it to the itunes
music store via cdbaby.com)

                 - phil

lyrics and chords appended below for those who might be interested.

i can't wait until one of the youth in the family gets asked by a teacher,
"does anyone know what metadata is?"

they could honestly answer:
 "well, i'm one of the persons who composed and sang the song 'oh metadata.'"

Oh, Metadata

Oh metadata, oh metadata,
Oh metadata, oh metadata,
You helped me find, you helped me find,
You helped me find, you helped me find,
What I need to know.

When I had lost,
My precious files,
You gave then back to me.

Oh metadata, oh metadata,
Oh metadata, oh metadata,
You helped me find, you helped me find,
You helped me find, you helped me find,
What I need to know.

My files were lost,
Oh they were lost,
But now they're found,
Now they're found.

Oh metadata, oh metadata,
Oh metadata, oh metadata,
You helped me find, you helped me find,
You helped me find, you helped me find,
What I need to know.

I don't know what,
What I'd do,
If I did not,
Did not have you.

Oh metadata, oh metadata,
Oh metadata, oh metadata,
You helped me find, you helped me find,
You helped me find, you helped me find,
What I need to know.

Oh metadata, oh metadata,
You helped me find,
You helped me find,
You helped me find,
What I need to know.

By Phil Shapiro and The Front Porch Singers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Capo 5 (i think)

Chords:

G C  G C
Am D Am D
G  C  G C

--
Phil Shapiro [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/ (personal)

"There's just so much more creativity and genius out there than
our media currently reflect."  FCC Commissioner Michael Copps