Charles, Dan et. al.,

I got into VoIP because of necessity.  I travel A LOT, and during one trip
to Brazil managed to accumulate an 800 USD phone bill by using my cell phone
to call back to the USA in what I thought were short, minimal calls.  This was
after having a 13.00/minute calls back to the USA from St. Petersburg a couple
of months before with left me with another breathtaking telephone bill.

I bought a little unit called an IAXy
(http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=product_detail&category=hardware&product=S101I
from a company called Digium (http://www.digium.com), and
a phone service from a company called NuFone (http://www.nufone.net/) and
started
using it as I traveled.

I also invested in Skype and a few other VoIP tools.

Basically when I travel I hook up either the IAXy or my notebook to the net and
use either NuFone or Skype to call back.  The "rates" (other than the hourly or
daily
connection to the Internet (if there is one) is typically about 2 cents per
minute for calls back to the USA or Canada.  And most of the time I have to
connect to
the Internet anyway to get my email, work, etc.

The next time I went to Brazil I told people at the trade show I was at to call
anyone
they wanted in the USA or Canada and talk as long as they wanted.  Total cost
to me?
About 5.00 for the week-long show.  Beat me with a stick.

Long story, short point.  I have not gotten rid of my POTS lines, but I use
them a
lot less.  Before I call I think about who I am calling and how long I will
talk,
the need for clarity on the line and what would happen if I fell off due to some
glitch.  If the "stars align", I plan ahead, use VoIP and save money.  I
discourage FAXes
and encourage scanned and emailed images.

>From my point of view, for people that travel abroad, VoIP is a great thing,
>but if
I am trapped in a dark alley with thugs after me, my cell-phone is my friend.

Regards,

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.