Claude Almansi wrote:

> Now if I understand correctly, you say they could had added a number
> that would have sent the same message to a mailing list all relief
> bodies could have accessed?

Right. People would SMS a number, like 767 (numeric of SMS on a phone),
and that would be forwarded to an email list which all the different
organizations could subscribe to. In this scenario, people could simply
SMS in where they are - what street, which house, etc. - and so forth.

To add to it - there's software for HAM radio operators as well that
will allow them to also contribute to the email list.

> If that's right, then yes, it must be done. You are saying it may be
> late for helping Katrina victims. Maybe not: your anger at ARC not
> being used so far is understandable.

It's not really anger. It's frustration. .

> But in the height of an emergency people are not at their best
> learning new things.

Which sort of makes my point. This is an emergency, and people will not
be at their best for learning new things... but there isn't really that
much to learn either. No, the problem here is that these agencies aren't
open enough to accept new ideas - be it in contacting them, or even
getting them to consider a new idea. Or, for that matter (as in the
context of ARC) an old idea.

> After, there is still a lot of information that must be shared, and
> with less immediate pressure, relief agencies might be more willing to
> explore a system that would work even with no internet connection
> directly at hand.

That's what we thought after the tsunami. It wasn't the case,
unfortunately, and that's what's frustrating. These things only come to
light when an emergency is happening, it seems, and nobody was very
interested in fleshing this out. Thus I am focusing on the MobileActive
Convergence <http://www.mobileactive.org/overview> meetup this month,
and going from there.

Here's the thing. We can talk about global warming, the ozone layer and
all these other things - but at the end of the day, we have a load of
academic papers analyzing the information mankind has accumulated on the
globe, which is actually quite small. We don't have everyone signed on
to the Kyoto accord, we don't have average people (the masses) truly
exploring renewable energy in the 'developed' nations, and we - as a
species - have demonstrated that our ability to react to systems is
inadequate to ourselves on a humanitarian level - otherwise these
discussions wouldn't be taking place...

We have had an increase in the amount of natural disasters over the last
5 years, despite all of this. We can't form a committee to deal with the
weather. We can't ask Mother Nature to join the U.N. We are *powerless*
in controlling the weather, and earthquakes, and even just plain heat.
Any changes we make now are changes that will have a small effect on the
planet. I believe that mankind's future is one of reacting to disasters,
because they will happen. They have happened, and have continued to
happen, and will continue to happen. In days before modern technology,
survival meant adapting to disasters - even the Ice Age. In a way, this
is good news because there is a 'common enemy' for the nations on the
planet: The planet. And we can't win that war, and perhaps that's a
lesson in humility that mankind needs - perhaps not. Either way, we need
to do what our ancestors did in the past: Survive.

Einstein once said, "It has become appallingly obvious that our
technology has exceeded our humanity." This was in the context of the
start of the Nuclear Age, but considering the statement in modern
contexts is especially interesting.

In considering that statement in the context of ICT and emergency
preparedness and other things... perhaps that difference between
mankind's technological advancement and mankind's humanitarian
advancement is the best definition of the 'Digital Divide'. I think this
will be my new personal definition of the Digital Divide.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: Georgetown, Guyana

http://www.knowprose.com