Andy: Why not avoid any appearance of sounding hypocritical by notifying readers when you contribute your criticism? How did you "made sure that we could take positions on issues that were in opposition to some of our funders. . ."?

When we received funding from a private sector partner, we made clear to them we would keep editorial independence. So when AOL funded us, for example, nothing would stop us from writing an article critical of [EMAIL PROTECTED] We would always inform them of it, in case they wanted to write a public response. No funder ever interfered with our publishing, and they certainly never stopped DDN members from having their say on issues they cared about.

It's also worth noting that DDN is now designed as a decentralized online community. I don't write the articles. DDN members do. They also post them directly to the site. So there's never been a situation where private sector entities interfered with that editorial independence. Ironically, the problem hasn't been private funding - it's been public funding. Because EDC is publicly funded, we were discouraged from picking fights with the federal government. And when DDN was based at the Benton Foundation, we were not allowed to lobby for policies we cared about because of Benton's legal status as a charitable foundation. But private funders never tried to interfere or discourage us from getting involved in one issue or another.

On the topic you raised about whether one organization's funding is "better" than another's because it came from philanthropic sources, the answer should be obvious, I think. Corporate money is by definition given to any nonprofit project with but one goal in mind, that is, to further the image and thus enhance the corporation's profits. For example, any list that has Verizon as a contributor is fighting against itself, if it doesn't spell out the why's and wherefore's of the money contributed, so readers can understand the purpose of the partnership.
Tom

Sure, there's no doubt that companies give to make themselves look better. But as long as they don't dictate how that money gets spent and they don't interfere, why not? It never stopped us from writing about municipal wifi or another cause we thought relevant for greater public discussion or support. You're also forgetting DDN's original mandate - to create an online, multistakeholder, multi-sector network of activists seeking to bridge the digital divide. Multistakeholder and multi-sector, by definition, means working with the private sector. So it's not like this was some dirty dark secret - it was central to our founding and has always been a part of the mission.

Like I said, DDN never have been created or lasted as long without support from various sectors, including the private sector. And what happened when we tried to focus on getting less money from the private sector and more from the public sector? We ran out of funding and lost our jobs. Sure, it would have been great if some noncommercial philanthropic benefactor had stepped up and bankrolled DDN so we could do our work and really mobilize, but that was never realistic.

ac

Andy Carvin
acarvin (at) edc . org (until Jan 31)

As of February 1: