Hi Phil,

What exactly do you mean it's been donated to DDN? How would one share a piece of equipment over an international network? It's great to know someone would want to donate a video camera to DDN, but I'm just not clear on the logistics.... -andy

Phil Shapiro wrote:
hi Digital Divide Network community -

   some happy news to share.  a digital camcorder has been donated to the DDN
community for us to use in whatever way we please.  this camcorder is a canon
zr500. it comes with a lavalier (clip on) microphone.
    one possible use of this camcorder might be for interviews between DDN
community members.  such interviews could be conducted over the internet using
the free gizmo internet phone service.

      with both people in the interview capturing their own video and audio,
internet latencies become a non-issue. the two video files can be merged into a
single quicktime file using quicktime pro (or final cut.)
        this kind of interview conducted over the internet has become commonly
known as a “rosetime,” in honor of charlie rose, who conducts a popular
interview program on public television, here in the united states.

       rosetimes can be uploaded for free to the internet archive, which
provides free, permanent web hosting.  (http://www.archive.org)

       here within the DDN community there is a treasure trove of interesting
stories from members in our community.  we're not going to wait around for
anyone else to tell these stories. we're going to tell them ourselves.

       sorry i don't have some rosetimes to share with you today, but i hope to
have a couple uploaded before the “Beyond Broadcast” conference in cambridge,
mass., later this month.

the rosetime genre owes its existence to the DDN community. some of the people involved in bringing this genre to life include -

Daniel Bassill
http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/dbassill1

Bonnie Bracey Sutton
http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/bbracey

Taran Rampersad
http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/Taran

Felicia Sullivan
http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/Felicia

Rich Jaeggi
http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/rjaeggi

Father Jeff Putthoff
http://www.hopeworks.org

Morgan Sulley
http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/memeshift

Nettrice Gaskins
http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/Nettrice

Daniell Krawcyzk
http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/daniell

      and of course, cedar pruitt and andy carvin, played an important role,
too.

     some folks outside the DDN community who played a role in bringing
rosetimes to life include -

kenyatta cheese
ryanne hodson
jay dedman
michael verdi
steve garfield
j.d. lasica
dan gillmor
hal cauthen
brewster kahle

        for those of you who are new to the Digital Divide Network, here is a
quick overview of some of the folks you might see in rosetimes in the coming
months.

         http://www.his.com/~pshapiro/ddnprofiles.html

             if you're interested in appearing in a rosetime (or would like to
volunteer time to conduct some), thanks for sending me an email with the word
“rosetime” in the subject line. i'll be sending some follow-up emails explaining
the process for creating rosetimes using imovie and quicktime pro. (quicktime
pro sells for $30 from apple computer.)
                 phil

btw, if you're new to the Digital Divide Network and have not yet filled in your
profile on the DDN web site, you bring value to the movement by doing so.  since
it is never easy to write about yourself, you might get some ideas from some of
the existing profiles (above.)
some of the most interesting ideas within the DDN community come from folks
outside of the united states.  it would be a good thing for the DDN community to
find a way to get some digital camcorders to loan to people outside of the
united states. if you're interested in helping with that, thanks for sending me
an email with the subject: international

--
Andy Carvin

http://www.andycarvin.com
http://www.digitaldivide.net