Hi everyone,

I've just posted the first of a two-part blog essay about free and open source software (FOSS) and its role in education. The first part explores the basics, offering definitions of open source software, freeware and free software, which many people erroneously use interchangeably. My next post, which will appear on Wednesday, will be an in-depth interview with award-winning edtech expert David Thornburg, who's just published a new book about the role of FOSS in education.

Part one can be found here:

http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/learning.now/2006/06/whats_the_fuss_about_fosspart.html

Part two will appear this Wednesday on the blog's homepage:

http://www.pbs.org/learningnow

Digg it:
http://digg.com/software/What_s_the_Fuss_about_FOSS_Part_1_of_2

thanks,