On Friday, 26 March 2021 at 00:50:36 UTC, Jordan Wilson wrote:
Nice one. I've used HDF5/NetCDF, will have to check out and see what CDF offers.

AFAIK CDF is much simpler than NetCDF. If you do generate CDF files and want other common tools to understand your data structures, use the ISTP metadata scheme:

  https://spdf.gsfc.nasa.gov/istp_guide/istp_guide.html

Since deimos.cdf just provides C bindings and type safety, a higher level module would be nicer. Currently, the most natural interface to CDF files that I've used is the spacepy.pycdf python package.