While I'm delighted that we finally have a basic D2 x64 compiler I can't stop wondering how long it will take till I finally get my hands on it on Windows. God knows I'd have switched to gdc long ago if gcc wasn't such a PITA to compile on Windows! Several attempts over the past year failed.

What bothers me most is that the bigger part of the delay is due to an antiquated object format, linker and C runtime (that have caused enough despair and rage since the beginning of time.. er, D)
ELF is standard on Linux, Mach-O on Mac. And dmd adheres to that.
So isn't Windows' de facto standard COFF in combination with MinGW's ld or VC's link the natural choice?