RTTY remains the digital-mode-of-choice for DXing, despite efforts
to replace it with PSK31 or PSK63. The MMTTY and MMVARI engines
enable freeware soundcard applications to perform well in this mode.
Given the continuing interest in DXing and Contesting, I doubt we'll
see any significant decline in RTTY.

I do agree with the overall point of your post, Rick. No one owns a
frequency. Good judgement and basic manners go a long way...

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, KV9U <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bonnie,
>
>  From my frequent monitoring, I would have to say that the only
really
> popular mode is PSK31. It is not uncommon now to have more PSK31
signals
> within a 2.3 KHz  passband, than even cw signals during a contest.
Like
> this weekend you might find 4 to 6 cw signals but you would find
up to
> 12 PSK31 signals in the "watering hole" on 20 meters.
>
>  From time to time there are other digital modes being used, of
course,
> and Olivia seems to be the third most common, (after RTTY
keyboarding),
> even though no where near the concentration of PSK31.
>
> What I would like to see are some practical bandplans that have a
> recommended spot frequency for digital modes. We do have that by
default
> now on 20 meters for the .070 PSK31, and similar areas on 40 and
80
> meters. The RTTY operation is often about 10 KHz higher as you
point
> out. But except for contesting, RTTY is not as popular anymore as
other
> digital modes and probably will drop off even more as older hams
become SK.

> No one has any particular claim to any part of any band, other
than
> being able to work in the regulated areas for digital or for those
who
> follow bandplans, within the bandplan recommendation. If you go to
the
> ARRL site and look at their bandplan recommendations, one realizes
that
> they do not distinguish between digital modes except for the
automatic
> subband area that they call packet. Everything else is called RTTY.
>
> If we had a spot frequency that was recommended for newer modes
that
> have not had a de facto "watering hole," like PSK31, then we could
start
> from there and if the frequency was busy, move up to the next
available
> slot. As it stands right now, there can be Olivia, or Domino, or
MFSK16,
> etc. over fairly wide areas and it is very easy to miss a call.
Since