Jason,

There was an STA (Special Temporary Authorization) that ARRL got from
the FCC, many years ago to test the concept of unattended HF packet
stations to form a network. There are a few hams who continue to attempt
to operate this system on at least 20, 30, and 40 meters.

Needless to say, 300 baud does not work well on HF. At least not with
conventional two tone packet. For their own reasons, they chose not to
move toward a far better ARQ mode. I am supportive of the concept of a
sort of "mesh network" of HF stations but only if they are effective. If
you tune into their frequenices and watch the retry/retry/retry/ over
and over again until they often time out, you realize that this is not a
good system.

The NTS later on created the NTS/D (National Traffic System/Digital)
which primarily runs on Pactor modes using the Winlink system and is
much more effective in traffic handling. MARS also uses Winlink. These
both use the original Winlink system that connects amateur radio
stations to each other and does not go through the internet.

Most of these nets are not something that the average ham can hook into
and send traffic as they tend to be closed unless you join them and not
many hams have the interest to do so. It is so bad now in Region 9 where
I live that there are no longer any NTS/D stations at all!

The internet has pretty much taken most of the traffic, either directly,
or through hybrid systems such as the Winlink 2000 system that primarily
uses the internet to handle traffic and connects to amateur radio via
various HF and VHF portals.