From: Tim Gorman
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: NTS and traffic handling and digital

If all else available to these EOC's failed then I hope to God I am never in
the area they are responsible for when a disaster occurs.

With the self-aligning satellite links that provide mega-bit rates up and down
that are available today for less than $2500 a year, an EOC without one is
just being penny-wise and pound foolish.

And if you come back and say that the EOC's are located where there is no
satellite access, then I'll repeat, I hope to God I am never in the area they
are responsible for when a disaster occurs. Such idiocy in site location and
management is totally unacceptable.

Nobody minds you being a cheerleader, Howard, and I agree with you that
Winlink should be a tool in our arsenal, but when you start throwing out such
totally unbelievable stuff, all you do is hurt the credibility of the people
in charge of the EOC function in your county or state.

I'm sure they appreciate you doing that.

tim ab0wr

On Saturday 25 February 2006 12:51, Dr. Howard S. White wrote:
> Obviously you are not interested in a simple statement of fact...
>
> The 2 EOC's were equiped with their usual equipment + Winlink.  The usual
> systems failed to connect because there was no direct propagation between
> the EOC's.   Winlink  because of its ability to automatically take
> advantage of relay connections was able to connect and pass the traffic
> when all else failed in this situation.   The beauty of Winlink is that one
> can connect to any Winlink PMBO to pass traffic so as propagation changes
> there is usually a PMBO within range making for a fairly reliable means of
> communications.
>
> Winlink was not a planned mode for the SET... but when all else failed..
> Winlink came to the rescue..
>
> In spite of the Winlink Haters out there... and there were also several in
> both EOC's at the time ....
>
> I know you do not want to hear it... but Winlink Worked when all else
> available to the EOC's failed
>
> We, hams, need to consider Winlink as ONE of our tools in our arsenal for
> Howard S. White Ph.D. P. Eng., VE3GFW/K6  ex-AE6SM  KY6LA
> Website: www.ky6la.com
> "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
> "Ham Antennas Save Lives - Katrina, 2003 San Diego Fires, 911"

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org